Ultimate guide in choosing a builder
Any form of real estate constitutes a massive investment, and building is no exception. As such when you are building your dream home, your choice of builder is a crucial decision. Here is everything you need to know about choosing a builder. In addition, we disclose some of the top actions when determining the right builder for your project.
Carry out research
To set yourself on the right path you need to ensure you carry out sufficient research on any potential builder. After all, as the property owner, you have a responsibility to carry out due diligence. Some of the things to look out for include how the various builders conduct their operations. Moreover, you need to assess the quality of the builder’s work, as well as checking references. Impeccable communication skills are also an important part of your builder’s expertise. Lastly, you need to work with a builder who understands your vision and is able to deliver on it.
Ask for recommendations
One of the best ways to find a builder is to ask for recommendations. Perhaps the best source of recommendations is your architect and designer. However, you can also ask for recommendations from family, friends, as well as those that have recently come through the same process. Usually, architects will have a database of competent builders that they can recommend. Although you receive referrals you will still have to carry out thorough research on the recommended builders.
Although often underestimated, timing plays a crucial role in this process. In order to get a precise estimation of the cost of construction, it is best to approach your selected builder at the right time. You should approach your chosen builder only when all the construction details, necessary licenses, and final plans are finalized. These details also enable the builder to come up with a projection of a construction timeline.
Questions you should ask
- Firstly, you should ask your prospective builder if they are duly accredited and the licenses they have.
- Secondly, you should inquire if they have undertaken a project similar to yours before.
- Thirdly, it is also important to query your potential builder on the current number of projects they have. It also helps you ascertain if they are in a position to comfortably carry out your construction project.
- Knowledge of your probable builder’s office or residence is equally important. It is quite important to engage a local builder whose offices or residence are close to your site. In the event of an emergency at your site, the local builder will be able to respond quickly.
- You should also ask the builder which building materials they have experience working with. This will help you determine if the builder will competently with the materials you intend to use for your construction project.
- Moreover, timelines and deadlines are of great importance. As such you should inquire about the start and competition date of each stage of construction.
- Another important question to ask your builder is if they have insurance cover. Never work with a contractor without adequate insurance cover.
- It is also important to ask the builder about their depth of manpower. Are all their staff in-house or do they subcontract? Whatever the case it is crucial that you have the same people working on your project from start to finish.